Thursday, February 5, 2009

Sitting in the principal's office...

Libby and I were in the principal's office today. That was my first time ever being in a principal's office in my life! Those of you who are freaking out should just calm down...it wasn't a bad thing! :-) Libby's teacher has been out since Tuesday of last week. She was scheduled to be out last week and return this week on Wednesday but she emailed me on Tuesday that on her way back to Florida she ate at a Quiznos in an airport in Kentucky and got food poisioning! She went to the doctor on Wednesday and got medicine and was hoping to return to work soon. Well, the time that she was scheduled in advance to be out they had one substitute in the classroom for those five days. It turned out that the sub yelled at the children in class constantly. Libby (who loves school) dreaded going to school each morning. I knew that Libby was unhappy with the sub and then Conrad (one of Libby's classmates) said something to his dad about how much he disliked the sub, too. Conrad's dad then spoke to me about it as we were leaving class after dropping off Conrad and Libby. Two good kids in class with the exact same complaints about the sub. One other mom also mentioned to me that her daughter had said the same thing so I emailed the teacher to let her know what was going on with the sub in her class. The teacher told me that with a concern like that she wanted me to let the principal know so I emailed the principal. The principal emailed me back that night that she would look into it the very next morning (Wednesday morning). The principal called the sub at home on Wednesday morning and the sub finally called her back Wednesday afternoon. The principal informed her of the complaints from the class and of course the sub denied yelling at the children (right, like she'd actually admit it!). So, the principal called me yesterday at 5:00 to tell me that she had just talked with the sub and she (the principal) wanted to know if it would be okay if she spoke with Libby privately on Thursday during class. I told her it wouldn't be any problem at all...she should definitely speak to Libby and hear Libby tell her in her own words how the sub treated the children. Meanwhile, this morning when I was taking Libby to school we were getting out of our car at the same time as another 1st grader in another class. As we were all getting out of our cars a mom from Libby's class was getting in to her car from dropping off her daughter and she said, "There's a sub for one more day in class today." Libby asked me if it would be that sub that I had been speaking to the principal about and I told her that while the principal was looking into the situation that she definitely wouldn't put her back into the classroom so Libby didn't have anything to worry about. The other mom who was getting out of her car at the same time asked me, "Having trouble with a sub?" and I told her that yes, there had been several complaints. The other little girl (who is in another 1st grade class) looked at Libby and said, "Was it Mrs. B?" and Libby told her that was who we were talking about. That little girl's mom asked her how she knew and the little girl said because that was her sub a few weeks ago and she yelled at the children a lot. Hmm, so, not only is the story from several different children in Libby's class but it is now also coming from another class. Soooo, the principal did pull Libby out of class for a little while today and spoke to her about the situtation. Then this afternoon the principal called me to update me on the situation. She called at 4:00pm just as Libby and I were leaving Libby's art lesson (which takes place at Libby's school). As I was talking to the principal on the phone Libby and I were walking across campus and we were walking near the principal's office and the principal said, "Oh, I see you walking by now. Why don't you just come in and we can finish discussing this." So, that's how Libby and I ended up in the principal's office today! :-) The mom of the little girl in the other 1st grade class gave me permission to use her daugther's name when speaking to the principal about the sub so I did mention what happened this morning before school and that the little girl knew exactly who we were speaking about when we said that we had a problem with the sub. The principal wasn't happy to hear that - especially after everything that the children in Libby's class had said so she said that she can guarantee that the sub won't sub in Libby's class again. Whew! I know that was a crazy long story but that's what we've been working on the last few days. :-)

1 comment:

Kristina Muzzey said...

Go on with your bad self! Sounds like the Harper Valley PTA. (OK, not really, but that is the funniest thing that I could think of.) Good for you, and Libby! This does not sound like the shy and quiet Leslie that I remember from Eastside. I like it!